Yes, it is possible to consume too much sea moss. Consuming large amounts of sea moss is not recommended, due to its high iodine content. If you consume too much iodine, it can have poisonous effects on your body. For example, excessive iodine intake can lead to goiter, thyroid problems, and hyperthyroidism.
As well as iodine, sea moss, and most other seaweeds, can accumulate large amounts of toxic metals such as mercury, lead, and even arsenic. Consuming large amounts of these metals can be harmful and pose multiple health risks.
In addition to iodine and toxic metals, sea moss also may have anticoagulant (blood-thinning) properties. While in small amounts this doesn’t pose much of a health risk, those who are taking regular blood-thinning medication should avoid consuming sea moss.
We recommend consulting with your doctor before adding sea moss to your diet and be sure not to exceed the daily dosage suggestion listed on the label.
Can you overdose on sea moss?
Yes, it is possible to overdose on sea moss. This is because of the high iodine content and the presence of other metals and chemicals that can be harmful if consumed in excess.
While there is no official dosage for sea moss, the recommended daily amount is 1-2 teaspoons or 4 to 8 grams per day. This level of dosage should allow users to see the benefits without noticing too much of the potential side effects. It is recommended that anyone with higher than normal levels of iodine should avoid taking sea moss in any form.
However, it’s important to note that sea moss isn’t considered dangerous when consumed in normal doses and is generally safe. In fact, sea moss actually has a whole bunch of health benefits. It’s all about balance.
An average 20g serving of raw sea moss contains the following:
- Calories: 10
- Protein: 0.5 grams
- Total fat: 0 grams
- Total carbs: 3 grams
- Fiber: 0.5 grams
- Total sugar: 0 grams
- Calcium: 1% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Iron: 10% of the DV
- Magnesium: 7% of the DV
- Phosphorus: 2% of the DV
- Zinc: 4% of the DV
- Copper: 3% of the DV
Does sea moss have side effects?
While there are definitely more benefits than downsides to sea moss, there are a couple of things you should consider before making it a regular part of your diet.
As mentioned above, due to the high iodine content, consuming excessive amounts of sea moss can lead to negative side effects. Some people report minor bloating when they first add it to their diet, but this often subsides after a few days. Some people report that their farts become more pungent, but this is a normal reaction to the change in gut microbiomes and should settle down after just a few days.
Additionally, sea moss can trigger an allergic reaction. Although the sea moss itself isn’t an allergen, around 2% of the population is allergic to seafood. This includes shrimp, crab, mollusks, clams, oysters, and scallops. These tiny crustaceans often burrow themselves into the sea moss for protection.
Although every effort is made to ensure these are removed before the sea moss reaches the market, there’s a small risk that some traces may remain. If you have a seafood allergy, it’s best to avoid consuming sea moss. While the risk is extremely low, the consequences can be deadly.
If you experience any side effects after consuming sea moss, you should consult your doctor.
Does sea moss contain mercury?
Yes, some sea moss can contain traces of mercury. However, this usually isn’t enough to cause you any harm. But of course, the more sea moss you consume, the higher your risk of contracting mercury poisoning.
The amount of mercury present in your sea moss will almost always depend on where it has come from. This is because seaweeds are excellent at sucking up any chemicals in the water, so any ocean pollution can alter the amount of mercury present in your sea moss, as well as a whole host of other chemicals and heavy metals.
For example, it has been reported that seaweed products that are grown in river mouths are normally not carefully monitored, so are more likely to contain mercury. However, some high-end companies selling sea moss products promise no traces of mercury. This is due to a chemical extraction process that is carried out after harvesting. However, if you want a chemical-free sea moss product, you can expect to pay up to double the price!
Does sea moss make you have a bowel movement?
Yes, it can. In fact, some people often refer to sea moss as a digestive aid. This is because of the changes it makes to the microbiomes in your gut.
Healthy bacteria feed off the probiotics and increase in number. The resulting high levels of beneficial bacteria lead to a healthy gut and prevent an imbalance of harmful bacteria.
In addition to this, sea moss also has anti-inflammatory properties which can help to soothe symptoms of IBS, leaky gut, or other bowel disorders.
Does sea moss make you have diarrhea?
While sea moss does make bowel movement easier and less painful, it can sometimes cause a bout of diarrhea. This isn’t anything to worry about, as the gentle laxative effect of sea moss can help to process waste through the body faster.
This can also help to accelerate weight loss. However, if your diarrhea is severe and lasts for longer than a couple of days, you should visit your doctor.
Does sea moss make you sleepy?
Some users report that sea moss has helped with their insomnia. This could be due to the fact that it contains high levels of vitamin D which can help to improve your quality of sleep.
In addition, it also contains lots of vitamin E, iron, magnesium, calcium, and more. These are crucial ingredients that your system needs to sleep smoothly throughout the night without any interruption.
While sea moss isn’t sold specifically as a sleep aid, many regular users report noticing benefits to their sleep and sleeping pattern.