Can You Be Allergic to Sea Moss?

Sea moss is a type of algae, also known as Irish moss or as red seaweed. And basically, it’s just a type of seaweed, so it grows in the sea all year round. Sea moss contains a lot of beneficial components and is classed as a superfood, making it a healthy addition to your diet, and it’s most commonly sold as a gel, which can then be used in smoothies! 

But can you be allergic to sea moss? There are many people with different allergies to different foods, and as sea moss can be eaten, there’s a chance you might be allergic, right? 

Well, sea moss is classed as being incredibly safe, as a general rule, for people with food allergies. There aren’t many records of people being allergic to sea moss in any way, although larger studies would be needed to confirm this, as sea moss isn’t that popular as of yet, meaning it isn’t being consumed by that many people. 

But can you be allergic to sea moss? The answer to this is yes. It is entirely possible for you to have an allergic reaction to sea moss, and to any other type of seaweed. However, this is very rare. 

The problem is, that with things such as seaweed, it is a little harder to determine whether you are having an allergic reaction, or if it’s food poisoning. This is because seaweed, including sea moss, can contain many contaminants which end up in the sea, and this could cause some sort of food poisoning when consumed. 

However, if you source your sea moss from a reliable place, and you make sure it does not contain any contaminants, it should be completely safe to consume, and you should not have to worry about the possibility of an allergic reaction. Although if you want to be on the safe side, then you can try a small amount, and then wait 24 hours before consuming more. 

Can sea moss make you itch?

Sea moss is a type of seaweed, found in the sea all year round. And yes, it can indeed make you itch and cause skin irritation, usually after you have had direct contact with it! 

The problem is, sea moss isn’t always easy to spot when you’re out swimming in the sea, so you might not be aware that you’ve come into contact with it until it’s too late and you’ve already developed a rash. 

Sea moss can be found all around the world, and it’s quite common to see swimmers with a rash after being out in the sea. Sometimes the seaweed will get caught in the bathing suit, and the prolonged contact is what will cause irritation and itchiness. So it’s always good to keep an eye out for any seaweed before you start swimming to a specific area!

The best way to identify seaweed is by keeping your eyes open for dark clumps of hair-like clouds under the water, dark green, dark purple, or black in color. 

If you get sea moss irritation, the most common symptoms will be a visible red rash, irritation, itchiness, burning, and in more severe cases you could also get blisters. 

If you do become itchy from having contact with sea moss, here are a few things that you can do to treat the irritation: 

  • Clean the irritated area with soap and water. Rinse it thoroughly, so that any traces of the toxins that cause the itchiness are washed away. You can also apply some rubbing alcohol. 
  • Apply some Hydrocortisone cream to soothe the irritated area. Usually, this is best applied around 2 to 3 times per day. 
  • If the skin becomes worse, and the irritation increases, along with the appearance of a harsher pain, pus, extra redness, and a foul odor, then it might be infected. In this case, you will have to visit a doctor, so that it can be treated with the appropriate antibiotics.

Can you take sea moss if you’re allergic to seafood?

Sea moss is algae and a type of seaweed. But seaweed is not the same as seafood, despite both of them coming from the sea. So if you’re allergic to seafood, which will usually include things such as shellfish, you should still be able to take sea moss without the risk of suffering from an allergic reaction. 

In fact, sea moss, and seaweed in general, is considered to be incredibly safe for those that suffer from food allergies, as it very rarely causes a reaction. And even when it does cause a reaction, chances are it’s actually food poisoning, instead of an allergic reaction. 

So essentially, yes, you can take sea moss safely even if you are allergic to seafood. They are not the same thing, and therefore you will not have the same reaction for both. 

Does sea moss help with allergies? 

Sea moss is classed as a superfood, and it has a vast amount of health benefits, which is why it’s such a highly recommended ingredient within healthy diets and smoothies! Sea moss is full of essential minerals, vitamins, and other beneficial nutrients. It boosts your metabolism and increases your energy levels, as well as helping reduce the risk of many diseases and health risks. 

But can sea moss help with allergies? The answer is yes! Amongst its many health benefits and nutrients, sea moss is also full of specific nutrients that help dissolve inflammation and mucus in both the respiratory and the lymphatic systems. This means it will help reduce the most common symptoms caused by some of the most popular allergies, making it a great home remedy! 

On top of that, sea moss also contains many antiviral and antimicrobial substances, so it can help your body fight off infections a lot better, and it’s great for boosting your immune system! 

So all in all, sea moss is amazing for many different reasons, and it can work wonders for those with frequent allergies!